Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rebuilding A Body

I would like to share with you now my experience in the rebuilding of your body after chemo. This was one of the first great lessons I learned from cancer: take care of your body!!!!! After my first remission I had lost 60 lbs but was still at pretty good energy levels. The first thing you do is walk. Walk, walk, walk, walk, and walk some more. Did you know that just 30 minutes of walking builds anti-cancer proteins? Walking is also gentle and most importantly it gives you cardio and regulates your digestive tract.

As your muscles strengthen and your energy increases you can start to jog or bike. I also recommend Tai Chi and Yoga as both bring many benefits and healing to the body. The human body is really incredible. It is designed to be effecient. Muscles have memory and when they are used they remember how they performed and the next time you use them they will work to outperform their last round. This is how and why you build muscle. It should be noted that muscles will take about three months to first strengthen then you will begin to see growth.

Once you are getting back up there with your strength and stamina I recommend picking up a book on fitness and looking at their exercises. They have lots of great programs for all the different body types and builds. For example one I picked up recommends boxing for upper body strength - I think I will persue this!

Now of course, there is much more to rebuilding than just strength. Chemo completely wipes out your digestive tract of all friendly bacteria. These bacteria are involved in the absorption of nutrients from food. To remedy this eat lots of good natural yogurt or take a more concentrated form of pill like Acidophilus which are packed with probiotics. If I ever open my own cancer center it will include a course of probiotics post treatment for sure.

It will also have FOOD that is GOOD and SUPPORTS the body!!!!!! Yes indeed, the doctors may tell you "eat what you want it doesnt matter" but they are wrrrroooooonnnng. Food has a huge effect on cancer. When I relapsed with ALL I said fuck this healthy diet and I drank a huge fucking frappocino from starbucks, wipped cream and all. My white cells fucking exploded. This most recent relapse I took a different approach and ate only healthy foods, the cancer cells still multiplied but a much slower and controlled rate. I bet, with the right cocktail of vegetables and spices you could even reverse the growth of cancer. Fruits and veggies have natural defenses built in to their genetic makeup because they cannot defend themselves otherwise. For example blueberries can cause apoptosis of cancer cells (that means cell suicide). Raspberries have the ability to control angiogenesis, the growth of blood vessels - essential to tumour growth. The spice Turmeric found in Curry is the most powerful anti-inflammatory known to man. Inflammation is what cancer thrives on and the biggest contributors to it are sugar, white flour, processed fats, and surprisingly dairy. You want to be as anti-inflammatory as you can get, so eat those veggies, choose fish over meat, whole grains over white flour, and soy over milk. Another huge, awesome, epic herb is of course Garlic - the king of herbs! I eat it raw sliced on toast. Garlic is an epic immune enhancer, blood cleanser, blood thinner, bacteria killing, anti-inflammatory and the list goes on.

Flushing out toxins is also crucial when you're rebuilding your body. You may consider a liver cleanse involving juiced carrots and beats. You also need to sauna, you need to sweat. Our skin holds a lot of toxins and the way to get them out is to sweat. Right now, with the amount of shit they're giving me, the anti-biotics and whatnot, my sweat smells like gasoline. Its truly unnatural. I cannot say how important it is to drink water, drink lots and lots of water. Always have a bottle with you. Water is the sustainer of life and the cleanser of organs, tissues, plasmas etc.

I really recommend the book Anti Cancer by David Servan-Schreiber. He has detailed charts and lots of research on anti-cancer foods and other methods such as meditation. I only touched on some of the foods that he talks about. He goes on about teas, spices, seaweeds, mushrooms, and so much more.

All that being said it is important to every once in a while indulge in a pleasure food, be it sugary, or packed with transfats or what have you. Life is meant to be enjoyed and you have a right to that enjoyment!

So that pretty much sums up my approach to rebuilding the physical body. I loved it, the power, the energy, you look great, you have improved confidence, and most importantly you feel awesome. I chowed down on many kale and spinach salads and I jogged 5km 3 times a week. Treat your body well and you will be most pleased with the results.

Check this out; before cancer and after pics. Quite the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment