Saturday, June 12, 2010

I am soon to be discharged so: A Fond Farewell

Dear Staff of 15B,

I just wanted to express that it has been a most comfortable and enjoyable stay with all of you here at Princess Margaret. This is truly one of the world's leading centers on cancer care and research and it deserves the best of staff. That is exactly what it has. You are all angels, professionals, and you can really feel that you care. You don't have an easy job, you're exposed to death more than most, and you are always surrounded by sickness. That is why I like being young because I can at least offer a nice ass to look at and none of that dying business.

Andre, you are the Shahenshah of doctors, that is persian for "King of Kings". You understand the value of family, and you enjoy fine cold cuts. You always bring an air of comedy and fun wherever you go and this is a rare and powerful gift. Nurses love you, patients love you, and the place is never the same without you. You are a master of observation and you have the oncological experience of 10 lifetimes. You RULE and I believe I won't see you for a long time!

Some nurses were closer to me than others, sorry it's just the way it is!

Haroula, God thats a unique name and I don't think I'll ever get it right (I probably didn't even spell it right). I have always regarded you as one of the best nurses I have ever met. You have a confidence in what you do that is unmatched. When an inexperienced nurse would scare me with what could go wrong you would be there to assure me that it's all part of the process. That kind of assurance was invaluable to a scared cancer patient. You remind me of a Valkyrie from viking times. Valkyries are sort of mythical winged warrior women who would soar over battlefields and ferry souls to Valhalla. You will always be my Valkyrie and a friend when times get dark. Sorry for causing a ruckus I had to stick to my guns hehe.

Kimi, you are the essence of sweetness. I thank you for stopping in for our chats and for always being a smiling, warm face. That kind of thing brings goodness and healing to a soul. Keep shining your light on all the patients that enter your care. My wish for you is to find a man! You need to share that sexiness and you need to receive the love that you deserve. And you just got that new house to share!

Aida, oh Aida. You were there to see me at my lowest and I'm sorry I had to be that way. Relapse is the hardest thing and I was not in a good place. But you were there reminding me to keep my chin up. It took a little while to break down your shields but since then you have been the best of friends and a constant source of support. I thank you, I thank you, I thank you. Keep on being who you are, Lieutenant of 15B, shouting out your commands and unleashing your boisterous laugh.

Carol, I have to admit I had some beef with you at first. Your attitude and nagging rubbed me the wrong way. However, I feel that I got through to the real Carol and you are indeed a sweetheart who knows how to have fun. I am glad I got to see this Carol and I would recommend you lower that barrier and show the real you. Just for your information, when you're not feeling well and your energy is in the shitter, the LAST thing you want to do is clean up your room!

Mary, I think we really kicked it off this latest round, and I am so glad we did. You are one cool chick, and I mean, who else would wheelchair me down to indigo on their break? You are kind, highly intelligent, wise and compassionate. You will find yourself a great guy, have faith, and keep playing soccer.

The rest of you I get all your names mixed up, sorry. But you are all the best in your own way. I have had the pleasure of being here enough to see the real yous and truthfully you are all angels in disguise. Thank you for your care and I hope never to see any of you again.

I have become heavily involved with organizations like Young Adult Cancer Canada and I'm Too Young For This! I have been writing about my approach to cancer which is one of optimism, transformation, and turning crises into the greatest experience of your life. Cancer has been my greatest teacher, the growth I have experienced is HUGE, and I am truly a new man. I will devote my life to helping people with cancer for this is truly the most noble cause. Expect my book to be out soon and keep an eye on Oprah: I have big plans and big dreams and this is the way it should be.

Thank you and Much Love,

Nicolas J Bergeron

No comments:

Post a Comment